Play WoW on a Private Server
This guide is very helpful if you have ever wondered how people get to
play World of Warcraft on a private server. Doing this will can also let
you play as a GM if you know the person hosting the private server. I
just found this on the internet and I have not tried it. Also, I am not
responsible for the information contained in this guide and use at your
own risk. With that said...here is the guide!
How to Connect
1. Rename your World of Warcraft folder to anything else, for example
wowow, something you won't forget is your World of Warcraft folder. For
Windows users you'll find the folder "World of Warcraft" in C:\Program
2. Install the World of Warcraft (again). The installer will ask you
where you want to place World of Warcraft. The default is installed into
C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft, but instead rename it to C:\Program
Files\PrivateServerWoW (or anything else). Also, don't have it send an
icon to the desktop.
3. Once you've installed World of Warcraft, DO NOT connect to the
server!!! If you do this, WoW will update your game version to 1.9.0,
and we don't want this! Instead, download the 1.8.0 full patch. you can
download it here: FileFront
4. Run the 1.8.0 installation files and have it be installed to the Wow
Private Server folder. (If it doesn't let you choose where to install
it, it will automatically install in your private server folder).
5. This part is semi-optional. Just depends on if you want to have the
Ahn-Qiraj stuff available in the Private Server. If you want to connect
to a 1.9.0 hack server, you can download the 1.9.0 EMU patch (this is
NOT the same as Blizzard's and using Blizzard's 1.9.0 will result in not
being able to connect to the private server.) You can download the 1.9.0
emu patch HERE. Install the patch into your Private WoW server folder.
6. If you installed the 1.9.0 emu hack, go to your WoW private server
folder and then inside the folder go to DATA, then to DBFilesClient. in
the DBFilesClient folder DELETE the item "Spell.dbc." If you don't
delete this, WoW will NOT work. However if you didn't install the 1.9.0
emu hack, you won't have to delete anything.
7. Now on to finding a private server to connect to. I find most of my
servers at http://wowstatus.net/serverlist.php but you can find them
elsewhere by doing a search. There, you'll find a list of private
servers. If you want to play on a server with high XP rates and
gold/item rates, choose a funserver (under the XP rate column). Click on
the server's name to go to the info page. You can only play on servers
that have 1.8.0, 1.8.1, 1.8.2, or 1.9.0 hack (which is really almost all
8. To play on the server, you must make an account. Now click on the
Account Signup page to register for that particular server. Most
register sites will look like a login screen. Just type your desired
username and password to sign up!
9. Once you're signed up for that particular server, you'll need to find
the server's address. Go back to the server's info page, and you'll find
the server's address In the row labeled "Server Address" (duh ).
10. Once you've found the server address, go back to your WoW Private
Server Folder, and find a file called "Realmlist.wtf" It's in the
regular WoW private server folder, NOT in the WTF folder. Click on the
Realmlist.wtf to open it. For most, it will ask you what program you
want to open it with. For window's users, choose notepad. Once opened
you'll see, [ set realmlist us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com ] or [ set
realmlist eu.logon.worldofwarcraft.com ] depending on which version you
play. Now change the address to the private server you chose. (for
example [ set realmlist xxx.xxx.xxx ]) Once you've done that, SAVE the
11. Now in the private server folder, click on the WoW icon (or WoW190
if you installed the 1.9.0 hack) and you're on! Login as usual! (you can
play on 1.9.0 hack servers with just 1.8.0... but you wont be able to
access the new stuff).
Things you should know before playing...
1. You CAN'T connect to any private servers by simply just altering your
usual WoW realmlist.wtf file.
2. A lot of servers will have high latency! Heck, they're just FREE
servers set up by regular people.
3. When you login to the server and you get connected...or even to the
select character page, and you then you automatically get
disconnected...it means the SERVER IS FULL. Just keep trying to
reconnect until you get through.
4. Every 10-60 min, the server will do a "World Save." When that
happens, you will lag for about 10 sec. Nothing to worry about, though!
1. A lot of good servers will have a level cap of 255! Yes...lvl 255!
2. Most servers have high MP and HP regen!
3. Some servers, any class/race can wield any weapon/armor!
4. If you're nice to a GM, they may transport you to the famous, GM
5. Some servers have custom mounts! For example you can ride a hyppogrif,
gryphon, wyvern, or even a dragon! (Normally requires being nice to GMs
to get the dragon ).
6. Some servers have custom armors/weapons. On one server I play, I duel
wield 2 swords that do 9,999 dps....EACH. (major MC pwnage).
7. Most servers have NPC venders for epic quality items for less than
8. For those who aren't interested in pwning high lvl mobs that'd take
an entire raid in normal WoW, try out classes you've always wanted to
mess around with. On high xp servers, you can get to 60 within 30 min -
9. Most of the time, gold is plentiful! Or if gold isn't... mobs will
always drop SEVERAL uncommon/common/epic depending on mob level.
10. If you notice you're not getting a TON of xp from killing mobs., do
quests, some servers have uber high quest reward xp.
Privacy Statement |